Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's Fixable...

     My biggest struggle so far with losing weight has been my back. I have cried so much in the last month out of frustration. I physically want to be pushing my body but my back just wouldn't allow it. I'd seen my chiropractor who basically told me to quit working out and that clearly was not an option. I tried all sorts of stretches to try to loosen my back but every time I started to feel better the pain would come back. 
     With much hesitation, I finally listened to my coach AJ when he asked me to try a new chiropractor. I called last Friday and had an appointment on Monday. It is a very well known fact that I am not a good patient. I was anxious and wanted answers but the answers I received were NOT what I was expecting. I sat down with Dr. P on Tuesday to review my X-rays, I walked in, glance at my x rays and again tears started streaming down my face. It was at that moment that I realized he was not going to tell me that the pain was in my head. I have hyperlordosis which is a curve in my spine....to me it sorta looks like my spine is pregnant. I've also created a curve in my neck which actually explains why I get headaches. Because of the curves I have degeneration in I think 2 discs in my lower back and slight degeneration of discs in my neck. Hearing the Dr and seeing my x rays devastated me. I had so many thoughts running through my mind. Many of which were related to my weight loss goals. I wanted to know how or when I could exercise. I needed to know what to do to prevent further degeneration. And more importantly I wanted to know how this happened. My answers....I was pleased to hear that I can still exercise and that I needed to focus on my core. I wasn't excited to hear that I would be a frequent visitor at my new chiropractors office. And there is no 100% accurate answer to how this happened.
      The shock has warn off and I am grateful that AJ pushed me to get answers. I'm grateful that I was in pain because pain isn't normal and should be checked out.  I still have my weight loss goals and they aren't changing. I will continue to eat healthy and exercise. No I can't do the WOD's (workout of the day) that the other Crossfit members are doing but I can work out. It kills me to walk into the gym and not be able to participate in the way that everyone else can but I decided that I will be strong and I will try my hardest not to be discouraged. I have said to a number of people that I "just" get to row or I "just" get to do sit ups and I am very disappointed with my attitude. Rowing 1000 meters, 1 min rest, 800 meters, 1 min rest, 600 meters, 1 min rest, 400 meters is not easy. It is tiring and it is a work out!! I've decided for now I will be one heck of a dedicated Rower!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandi
you are an amazing person and you are going to inspire so many people on your journey. This Blog is such a great idea thank you for letting me be apart of your journey. PS we will have a brand new rower for you on Thursday!!!!

Brandi Lemire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi Lemire said...

Man oh man, I am a lucky girl! lol